Red Wine Pot Roast
- For the marinade
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 lemon sliced
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- For the roast
- 3-4 lbs lean beef roast
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
This is one of our favorite pot roast recipes. The red wine marinade adds complex savory deepness to the roast.
- To make the marinade, combine the wine, water, onions, lemon, sugar, salt, ginger, and peppercorns in a large bowl.
- Set the roast in a shallow glass or ceramic baking dish, and pour the marinade over it.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and set in the refrigerator to marinate up to 24 hours. Turn roast 3-5 times during the marinading period.
- To cook the roast, remove the meat from the marinade.
- Over medium-high heat, put 2 tbs of the butter in a deep pot, add the meat and brown it on all sides.
- Strain the marinade and add it to the pot.
- Cover and simmer 3-4 hours.
- Remove the meat from the pot and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Reserve the marinade and cooking liquid in the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a small saute pan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 2 tbs of butter, then stir in the flour, and cook, whisking constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add the mixture to the marinade and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened to make a gravy.
- Return the meat to the pot with the gravy in it, and heat 5 minutes more.