Shrimp Egg Rolls
|6 cups savoy or regular cabbage, shredded|
|1 carrot, shredded|
|1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts|
|1 celery stalk, diced|
|2 tbs onion, chopped|
|1/4 lb baby shrimp, drained|
|2 tbs soy sauce|
|1 tsp garlic powder|
|1 tsp white pepper|
|1 egg, beaten|
|20 egg roll wrappers|
|vegetable or canola oil for frying|
- In a large bowl, mix together cabbage, carrots, sprouts, celery, and onion.
- Stir in shrimp, soy sauce garlic powder and white pepper.
- Pour beaten egg into a skillet placed over medium heat, cook flat and thin, flipping once, until done.
- Remove from skillet, cool and chop finely.
- Stir egg into cabbage mixture.
- Sprinkle top with cornstarch, mix and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix 1 tbs cornstarch with 2 tbs cold water and set aside.
- Place 2 or 3 tbs of the shrimp mixture into the center of an egg roll skin.
- Dip a spoon into the water and cornstarch mixture and moisten all corners but the bottom corner.
- Fold the egg roll skin from the bottom over the mixture, making a tight tube of the shrimp mixture.
- Fold corners in from the sides and press to stick against folded roll, then the rest of the way. Repeat with the remaining egg roll wrappers.
- Deep fry or pour oil into a deep frying pan to a depth of 3-4 inches and heat to 350 degrees.
- Fry egg rolls in batches until they are golden brown.
- Drain on a wire rack, then serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.