Shrimp in Coconut Sauce
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2/3 cups canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tbs ground coriander
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Wash the shrimp under cold running water, then drain on paper towels.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the oil under medium-high heat, then saute the onion and garlic until translucent, but now browned.
- Add the shrimp and season it with salt, black pepper, paprika and cumin. Cook just the shrimp have turned pink, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the contents of the pan and set aside.
- Add the tomatoes and coriander to the pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the coconut milk.
- Simmer the sauce 5-7 minutes, then add the shrimp and vegetables back to the pan and simmer for another 2 minutes or so.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Serve over rice.