|1/4-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|12 fresh chicken wing drumlets|
|1/4 lb chorizo, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, mild or spicy|
|4 garlic cloves, crushed|
|1?2 cup fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped|
|1/2 tsp saffron, crushed|
|1 cup medium grain rice|
|6 cups chicken stock, simmering|
|1/2 lb medium shrimp, shelled, tails on|
|12 fresh mussels, scrubbed|
|1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas|
|1/2 cup roasted red pepper strips|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Heat oil in a paella pan or large skillet over medium heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then add to the hot oil and cook, turning occasionally until lightly browned all over.
- Add chorizo and garlic and continue cooking until browned.
- Add tomatoes and saffron and cook until liquid evaporates.
- Add the rice, cooking an additional minute or two, then add the chicken stock.
- Once the stock comes to a simmer, add the shrimp, mussels and peas.
- Taste stock, add salt and pepper as needed.
- Before rice absorbs the liquid, arrange the meats and seafood, adding red pepper strips. Do not stir.
- Simmer until all the liquid evaporates. Cook a few more minutes to create a lightly toasted rice crust on the bottom of the pan. This happens when you hear a faint frying sound and smell the toasted rice.
- Taste, then season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Let the dish rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Note you can also use little neck clams and or calamari. If you are going to use calamari add during the last 3-4 minutes of cooking.