|1/2 cup all purpose flour|
|1/2 cup cornstarch|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|1/2 tsp sugar|
|1 tsp kosher salt|
|2/3 cup ice wter|
|2 tsp vegetable oil|
|2 egg yolks|
|1 lb shrimp, seafood, or Broccoli florets or other mixed vegetables|
This is a classic Japanese tempura batter. It works well with fresh vegetables, or seafood.
- In a deep fryer or deep sauce pan, heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Stir flour, cornstarch, baking powder, sugar, salt, ice water, oil and egg yolks in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add shrimp, seafood or vegetables and stir to coat well.
- Pick up vegetables or seafood with tongs, letting excess drip off, and carefully place a few coated items into the oil at a time.
- Fry until golden brown, remove and drain on a wire rack (which is best) or on paper towels.