|2 cups butternut or calabasa squash, cut into cubes|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|1/3 onion, finely minced|
|1 cup aborio rice|
|1/2 cup white wine|
|4 cups hot chicken stock|
|1/4 cup Parmesan cheese|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Cut squash into cubes and place in a steamer basket over a saucepan and steam for about 10 minutes or until the squash is very tender. Then mash with a fork.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until onion begins to soften, then add the rice.
- Continue cooking and stirring until rice is glossy and onion begins to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes more.
- Pour in white wine and cook, stirring constantly, until it has evaporated.
- Stir in the squash and one-third of hot chicken stock.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook and stir until the chicken stock has been absorbed by the rice. About 5-8 minutes.
- Finally pour in remaining stock, and continue stirring until the risotto is creamy.
- Finish by stirring in Parmesan cheese and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.