Steamed Artichokes with Garlic Mayonnaise
|1 cup mayonnaise|
|3 cloves garlic|
|1 tsp Dijon mustard|
- Cut the stems from the artichokes and trim off the tough lower leaves.
- Halve the lemons and rub the bottom of the artichokes with one lemon half to prevent discoloration.
- Juice the remaining lemon halves and reserve 1 tbs of juice.
- Add the remaining lemon juice to a large pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Put the artichokes in the pan and cover with a plate or smaller pot lid to keep them submerged.
- Cook the artichokes for 25-30 minutes or until you can easily insert the point of a knife into the stem end.
- Meanwhile place the mayonnaise in a small bowl then crush or press the garlic into the mayonnaise along with the mustard and the reserved 1 tbs of lemon juice.
- Season the mayo with salt and pepper and taste to adjust seasoning if desired.
- Remove the artichokes with a slotted spoon and drain in a colander, stem side up.
- Divide among plates and serve with the garlic mayo for dipping.