Venison Medallions with Whisky, Mushroom and Horseradish Cream Sauce
|1 lb venison tenderloin|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup onion, diced|
|1 cup button mushrooms, finely diced|
|1/2 cup Whisky|
|1/2 cup beef broth|
|dash kosher salt|
|1/4-1/2 cup sour cream or cream fraiche|
|1/2 tsp horseradish or more to taste|
|1 tbs fresh chives, chopped|
|a few tbs of milk|
- Season the venison with salt and pepper.
- Chop one l cup of mushrooms and 1/2 cup onion.
- Saute onions in pan with two tablespoons of butter.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off burner and pour 1/2 cup of whiskey into pan. Cook until alcohol evaporates, about 1 minute.
- Pour in 1/2 cup beef broth and reduce by half.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1 tsp of horseradish or to taste.
- Whisk in the milk and chopped chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill venison until medium rare.
- To serve spoon the sauce over the medallions and garnish with fresh parsley and chives.